November 4, 2009

shooting stars over Z

After 27 hours of travel, a stop in the wrong country (Zambia), and some very turbulent plane rides, I have arrived safe n sound in Zimbabwe. Here are some things that I love so far:

1. The hotel gets hot water, and actually has a gym! (it's about 20 years old, and I'm pretty sure I'm the first one to ever use it) Also, it has a pool. I'm so happy.
2. The weather is sunny and warm during the daytime, chilly at night. The flowers are in full bloom, even though people tell me now is the dry season.
3. There's lots of fresh fruit & salads to be had - a huge improvement over my last visit. Additional improvements include: a lot of fixed potholes, trash piles cleared off the streets, and all my team members look just a bit fatter.
4. Outside the plane window I saw two shooting stars. The first one, I didn't believe my own eyes - but after the second one I knew that blaze of fire in the sky was either a missile or a shooting star.
5. I get to attend the Marine Corps Ball on Friday.
6. Every morning, I drink rooibus tea (that I filter myself - it's made from tea leaves) and eat a scone with marmalade. Questionable as the colonial legacy is, I love this morning ritual.

All for now - pictures to come after the weekend perhaps.

1 comment:

  1. Abigail, Keep the posts coming! I love to read about your adventures in far away places. I know you are coming back this week and I will pray that you will have safe travels. I know you do not know when you will be going again, but will you be here for Christmas? I hope so! Safe journeys and keep the blogs going girl!
    -Kathryn

    ReplyDelete