June 25, 2010

Athens & Delphi

Day #1 of our mainland tour, Becky and I hit all the hot-spots of Athens in about 5 hours and then hopped in the car to visit Delphi. This day was the culmination of so many things that I'd studied as a kid- ancient mythology, Athens, greek drama and philosophy, roots of democracy, even architecture styles! it's truly amazing what influence Greece has had on the western world.
I will admit that standing outside the Parthenon made me tear up. it is such a majestic building - so old, and such a work of art. Everywhere you go in Greece, there is something ancient - whether it's the origin of a word or a piece of marble toppled from a majestic palace on the side of the road. It's a bit hard to describe the wonder of it all - so here are some pictures to take you back in time with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment