July 24, 2010

travel tip...

I don't have a whole lot of these because every time I travel, there seems to be some wild and unusual occurance that leaves me both stressed and panicky and full of travel amnesia. Example: on the way to the airport, I passed 7 African Union convoys which made my trip from Gulu to Entebbe not 5 hours, but 7. I tried really hard to get my driver to join one of the convoys (take that, Gaddafi!) but he wouldn't do it. Or that time in Milan when everyone told me I had already flown on this ticket, which was clearly not true because I was standing in the airport talking to them. Or how about when my plane landed in Zambia instead of Zimbabwe? Yeah.

Anyway, back to my travel tip: if you are ever flying through Amsterdam (which I recommend because this airport is very user-friendly and the KLM people are almost always cute and helpful) and you have a long layover, but don't want to go into the city (actually that is quite easy - you just hop on a train)-- Get a yotel booking. Yotel is one of those airport hotels - you get a comfy bed, wifi included, and a shower. it's dark and peaceful and private. basically heaven inside an airport after that 8 hour all-night plane ride from Africa.

Also in the Amsterdam airport- there's this hot cheese pastry that I get every time I pass through (after 3 weeks in Gulu with no cheese - this is also heaven). It's a bar next to the sushi restaurant, and you just ask for the hot cheese pastry and the nice Dutch man will help you out.

Happy travels, people!

1 comment: