August 1, 2012

The day I met Emmanuel Jal

Sometimes it pays to have connections.  I was in a meeting with one of the movers and shakers in Juba, Peter Ajak (he's just formed the first South Sudanese think tank, and leads the Red Army), and he mentioned that he was about to head to a meeting with Emmanuel Jal.  I told him to please send my regards, as I'm such a big fan.  Still sitting at Logali house 25 minutes later when Peter walked back in and said, "The road is closed - so Jal is coming here and you will get to meet him yourself."

For those of you who don't know who this is (probably the majority of readers), Jal is probably the biggest celebrity in South Sudan. He is an internationally acclaimed rapper and hip hop artist, who was a child soldier from an early age until he was rescued by an aid worker and smuggled to Nairobi.  Jal used his experiences to start rapping, and has performed for Nelson Mandela on the same stage as Alicia Keys. I've been inspired by his story for years - even made my brothers buy me his book on cd for Christmas!

Remember what I said about connections?  Emmanuel Jal walked into Logali House, preceded by my good friend (who sometimes helps me set up meetings), Muki Lita.  I should have known that Muki would be helping facilitate travel around Juba for the biggest celebrity South Sudan has ever had.  In person, Jal is about my height and was wearing a Bert & Ernie shirt.  None of that matters, because his presence was enough to render me speechless (I didn't giggle or curtsey or anything embarrassing, don't worry).  He just sat and chatted with us for about 30 minutes - totally down to earth and real.  He is starting a vocational training program for street kids based on a project he set up in Kibera (the largest slum in the world).

Jal got my phone number and told me I should come out partying with him and his crew later that night.  Pretty awesome.  Of course I didn't hear from him again after that first meeting, but he's a busy man - and I do think I'll get invited to his concert in September.

 
If you haven't heard of this guy before, I highly recommend that you get on YouTube and check out his music - War Child, Emma, and also learn more about his life (his book is available everywhere).  What an inspiration to meet someone who has overcome adversity and unbearable suffering to come back, excel, and do real good for his community.

No comments:

Post a Comment