February 17, 2014

Drishti

We've been doing a lot of warrior 3 in my yoga classes recently. A lot of tree, and a lot of eagle. Poses that emphasize balance (like these) require a focal point, strong concentration, deep breaths, and the ability to relax despite trembling limbs. I love them- you dig into your core, and embrace the wobbles. I've learned to pick a point on which to affix my gaze - in yoga, this is called a drishti. It can be anything- a piece of lint, a ceiling tile. On Saturday, a tall dude raised his hands into tree and blocked my drishti. I found another one. Last week, I was in a mixed-level class, and sooo tempted to check out my fellow yogis' skills. But if you look around, you lose focus and fall. It's a balance of staring intently at this one central point, and not feeling so tied to it that you can't do the pose without it.

I find metaphors for faith in almost every physical activity or expression. In dancing, I'm reminded of the tension between trusting someone completely or falling flat. There still aren't a lot of dudes that I trust completely as a dance partner. When I'm out running the trails, I connect the perseverance and the steadiness to Jesus' faithfulness, the race toward heaven. Throughout my life, the drishti I need is Christ and no one else. If I look anywhere else, I wobble and fall. Even the beautiful practice of another will distract me.

Another aspect of the drishti is intangible - where your mind and heart focus during practice.  It has been a challenge for me to figure out what exactly to think about during yoga - peacefulness, acceptance of my practice, maybe non-judgment or beauty.  The last few weeks, I've been so, so happy to get back to practice (after 6 months of a sprained ankle), intention has been really important.  It's hard to explain, but through the intention of finding peace, I've learned about several other attributes like beauty, perseverance, and trust.  Then in the moments of savasana (the last pose in class), returning to my intention for a moment, I've been given scripture to consider.  I don't have a deep explanation for this - only that God has given me his word in moments of need.  It's made me want to memorize so much more scripture!

But back to the drishti:  It finally struck me that the best places to focus are attributes that please God.  (Please don't ask me why it took me this long to figure out - I think I needed God to show me this, not a person)  So, in the past week I've focused on the fruits of the Spirit: Love, Joy, Peace, and Patience.  Coming soon to my practice are: Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness and Self-control.  I'm hoping to go through the Bible to find other qualities and concepts to focus on.

I don't have any grand illusions that this will suddenly change my life.  In fact, yesterday, I completely forgot about my intention of joy, and tried to muscle my way through the class.  Not a good idea.  However, I do love the ability to focus on qualities that are spiritually and physically important to the Lord.  Love isn't just an emotion - it's a way to treat your body, when you can't accomplish a pose.  Patience is more than an ability to wait meekly, it's a perseverance through hard times.  I'm loving these new drishti, and can't wait to see where the next steps of this journey take
me.

No comments:

Post a Comment