March 29, 2010

Prague

There is something wonderful about an old friend - somebody who has known you for a long time, and still loves you. Something even more wonderful? A whole family of old friends who are friends with your whole family - that is, the Stewarts. Mark, Joanna, Sasha, and Izaak are living in Prague working with World Harvest ministries and blessing lots of people with their warm hospitality.

I've tried to visit the Stewarts a few times, but we keep on missing one another - so when I emailed and they were home - I almost couldn't believe it. Since I hadn't seen them in several years, we had lots to catch up on, and even a new baby to meet! (theirs, not mine)

I arrived Saturday morning, and Mark & Sasha picked me up from the airport - we headed straight home to eat a delicious breakfast of cinnamon buns that Joanna made from scratch. Good start. Then, Joanna, Sasha, & Izaak took me for a walk to 'our castle' as Sasha calls it, through Malastrana, and back home - perfect to wake me up from the long (miserable) overnight flight from Kenya. A bit of lunch, and then back to the Stewarts' for Stitch n Bitch, Joanna's weekly knitting group! (Thank you, Joanna for teaching me how to make granny squares) Afterwards, Mark & the boys took me out for beer at the beautiful Augustinian monastery. There's a brand new Easter beer out, which we had to try. Delicious, of course.











Prague is a great city if you like beer and red meat and long walks-- perfect, actually. The architecture keeps your eyes entertained, and the cobblestones keep your feet guessing. The beer and sausages are so delicious - I think it would be worth dying of high cholesterol to live there.











Sunday was a relaxed day - in the afternoon, Sasha and I went on a date to the 'playground without the one red slide,' and then we took a long adventurous exploration walk. It was so fun! Afterwards, I got to attend their church and see one of my good ole college friends, Betsy. What a small world.

Then Monday, the whole Stewart family took me into Old Town Prague where the Easter markets are open. We walked through the cobbled streets until we got to the Charles Bridge, where you get the most lovely views of the city. Really, every view of the city is lovely - but the bridges are remarkable.

It was such a great weekend - have I mentioned that Joanna is a fabulous cook? I ate and slept and saw a new bit of Europe. The Stewarts get lots of visitors, but they were absolutely happy to give up their free time to hang out with me. Sometimes when I visit a new place, I feel like-- that was great, but I don't need to come back because I've seen all the city has to offer. I do feel like I got a great overview of Prague, but actually Prague is a place that I'd love to visit again - there's so much to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment