November 20, 2010

rolling thunder part 2

My friend Sarah used to work at a school where the kids weren't allowed to say 'cool' 'dude' or 'awesome' because the administration thought kids these days say those words too much without developing a good vocabulary. I tried it one day, and found it next to impossible. so, I do try to use other words in my vocabulary when I remember.... but sometimes a thing comes across my path that can only be described as awesome. today, that thing is my Mom. Maybe many of you haven't met my Mom - I don't need your input. she is awesome.

So, this weekend I decided to take a motorcycle class - to prep if I ever go live overseas (I'd like to have a motorcycle), and to work on my skillz. Anyway, I was debriefing with my mom afterwards - just talking about some of the techniques and things I'd learned. She's great to talk to because she is a counselor - wonderful at listening thoughtfully. She mentioned how excited she was that I was learning this (albeit a bit nervous), and I said, "Well you did something like this, right?" Mom started reminiscing about this time when she lived in Venezuela - and was riding her motorcycle up a mountain range, back and forth on switchback dirt roads... and she wiped out, the motorbike wasn't even hers, and she had to kick start it again on a hurt ankle, but the kickstart was bent. ridiculous.


My mom is a rockstar. Growing up, she had her pilot's license and used to fly a tiny plane back and forth from Baltimore to Ocean City every morning to deliver newspapers. Who even does that? But it goes farther back than my mom - my grandmother gave up her modeling career to go into the airforce during World War 2. There she met my Grandad (she taught him how to fly), then raised 4 kids, and later she took up horsebackriding and real estate sales. Just a snapshot of the coolness factor. I have a long way to go, clearly.

I know other people's parents are similarly cool - so here's to the people who made us who we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment