June 6, 2012

M-V-P

I'd like to acknowledge that this is my 100th post!  Thank y'all for adventuring along with me!

Most Valuable Proposal.  That's right, folks, I've had another one.  In addition to the variety of stalkers (who call at midnight and 6 a.m., and all times in between), today I had my most expensive proposal yet.  It started with me taking a seat in the reception area of an NGO.  The two men sitting there greeted me, and I greeted them back.  Then, jumping right in, the bolder one (who I later found out was named Daniel Garang) said, "I am looking for a white girl. You are still very young, let me give you some advice:  you still have time to marry a Sudanese man."

Now, I do not like being called a girl.  I am enough of a feminist to know I deserve a little more respect than that.  So naturally when they asked where am I from- I told them Canada.  By the time I was done my persona was Anna, the 30-year-old married woman from Toronto.  Daniel told me he would like to move to Canada, so that's why he wants a white wife.  We didn't get into the fact that there are more than just white people in Canada....

Even though I am already married, Daniel said maybe he could pay my husband and then he could marry me instead.  I told him, I am already married to a Sudanese man (conveniently named Benjamin Deng - Deng is like Smith over here).  He was shocked.  (remember the advice I got from my friend?  always married, always to someone here, always to a Sudanese)

A trade?  I don't think so, besides, my husband paid a good dowry for me.  Daniel was surprised- he didn't think white girls required a dowry.  Let's tally up the insults:  first you think I'm a kid, then you offer to trade me like a new video game, and then you say white girls aren't worth paying for.  Unacceptable!

I told him he must always pay a dowry, and I am wayyyy to expensive for him to afford.  2,000 cows expensive (this was the most outrageous amount I could imagine).  He said he'd raise me 3,000 cows.  3,000 cows!!!  That is how much Daniel wants a Canadian wife.  Wow.  Best offer I've gotten yet, out of any country I've ever visited.

Sadly, I told him no thank you (I'm married already, remember?).  But of course I had to shop my offer around a bit, and one of my friends texted me back, "I have no cows, but can offer my life on the line."  Two in one day.  Guess this girl's still got it.

Daniel told me to pass out his number to any of my 'sisters' who might be interested in marrying a Sudanese man.  I can't promise you 3,000 cows (I've got on my lucky socks today), but at least an entertaining date!  Holla back if you want his number.  It's written in my notebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment