October 4, 2009

rolling thunder griffith

As you may already know - I've been wanting to learn how to drive a motorbike for a few months now: Sunday was my golden opportunity.

I cajoled one of the engineers I work with, Frederick, to teach me on his own bike (the keys to the program bikes were hidden away somewhere). We drove over to an open field where 'you won't be able to hit anybody or anything,' said Frederick. I told him, 'I will be the second woman in my family to drive motorbikes - my brothers will be totally impressed.' He thought that was just great.

As soon as we got to the field, a crowd of 20 kids gathered to watch the mzungu make a fool of herself. Frederick said, 'They are so impressed with you.' Not so much. Here in Gulu, most kids learn to ride around age 17, so for them it ain't no thing. I was a little worried about hitting them - but they all managed to scurry away in time...

Since I don't know (entirely) how to drive a manual, it made learning a bit more complicated - but after many stalls and an hour of jerking poor Frederick around the compound - I think I might be a pro. At least I can get into 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears. Frederick said to me, 'you are now so perfect!' what a good teacher :)

I definitely landed us in a giant, and I mean giant puddle on the way back to the office - but between the two puddles, and I definitely chose the smaller one! Next steps: learn to drive without Frederick on the back of the bike telling me to 'go slow!' and figure out how to kickstart - that is tough stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment