September 26, 2009

9 things that make me giggle

1. picking your nose in public is 100% appropriate and accepted here.

2. cell phone calls are of paramount importance- meaning that you answer your cell phone no matter what you are already doing. Last week I was at a ceremony opening a new hospital, when the speaker's mobile rang mid-speech - of course, he whipped it out, answered it, and had a brief conversation before continuing his speech.

3. I'm often greeted in one of the following ways: "Mono, hello how are you i am fine." "Mzungu, marry me." "Madam, give me your dog."

4. Nobody is ever described as having a bad personality trait here - they are just 'so stubborn.'

5. word pronunciation- z's turn into j's, and people just throw h's into words wherever they want: organization = organijajon; however = ow heva; social change = shoshal chan

6. last week i was introduced as 'a visiting dignitary.'

7. when you break out new dance moves, it's called 'pulling queer strokes'

8. when you want something ready immediately, you say 'now now' - as if 1 now isn't enough.

9. today i walked into my kitchen to find my fat little 'niece' Faith lying on the floor, wailing because she wanted a potato. this girl will eat anything and everything, and woe to the fool who comes between her and her food.

No comments:

Post a Comment