December 3, 2009

back to the future

This Saturday I leave for Uganda again. It will be 1 year and 4 days since my very first trip to Africa - talk about coming full circle. I'm really excited to go - this will be a short one, just 2 and a half weeks. On the way back, I'm going to visit my dear friend Anna in Vienna!


I've been thinking about the past year, and the many many ways that God has blessed my travels. Here goes:

-will have visited 8 countries, 3 continents, and traveled for 26 weeks
-stood mere feet away from both evil dictators and wild animals.
-was on Ugandan radio twice and quoted in the local newspaper (yikes) once.
-purchased bulls, goats, & sheep, and selected timber, telecom, and security service providers
-was the face & voice of an anti-corruption campaign
-received a number of marriage proposals (I stopped counting) - even one on a scrap of paper
-managed a 'household staff,' adopted a mutt, and am now an honorary auntie
-saw all the 'Big Five' (rhino, lion, leopard, elephant, & hippo)
-had a child named after me. not my own child, but thanks for asking.
-got to be VIP at an italian nightclub.
-out of 34 plane rides, only lost bags one time
-met up with my way-cool-also-a-traveler Aunt Chris in the Amsterdam airport
-learned how to bucket shower
-saw 2 World Wonders
-jumped off a waterfall into the pool below
-had a wild weekend in Milan with Sarah, Chris, & Jelena
-bungee'd over Victoria Falls
-fed a baby rhino
-swam in the Pacific ocean (for me this was a first)
-zip lined through the Mexican jungle
-got picked up & dropped off at the airport more times than i can remember by my wonderful family (and a couple late nighters by Martha - thank you!)

To wrap up this random post, I want to say - thanks to everybody for praying me through these travels, and always being willing to hang out in between trips. Hope I'll get to see more of you all in 2010!

No comments:

Post a Comment