December 26, 2009

a little help?

it's 6:37 a.m., and i've been awake for 2 hours. I always have great ambitions of reading history books, going to the gym (ha), or getting work done with these extra hours given so generously to me by my good friend Jet Lag.

You might think this is a golden opportunity: my disgusting cold has diminished to the point where I can almost breathe comfortably again, I have several new books to read (thanks, family), and loads of free time. But somehow I find myself unable to work; unable to redeem these 8 hours' difference between what my body accepts as daytime and what the world says are correct operating hours.

I find jet lag (as one small part of the larger thing that is travel) to be very isolating. During the wee morning hours you're bright and chipper - but nobody else is awake. Then as everyone starts to wake up, you are ready for action - but it takes hours for people to get ready. You're thinking, people get moving already- I have been awake for 5 hours and am waiting for you! You get a couple good hours from 11-2, where you are alive and so is everyone else. But then the afternoon looms and you start to fade, fade from sight. Nobody can bring you back, and you find yourself asleep on the leather couch, while everyone else is watching that NBA game. Even the shouts 'Come on, Ref!' don't awaken you. Then it's morning and you're awake at 4 once again. Just when you thought you were getting over it. This goes on for about a week, and as you finally just resign yourself to only having 6 waking hours' overlap with normal human beings each day, you are back. And you wish that you had savoured the early morning magic and the ability to wake up without an alarm.

what I'm really saying here is this - does anybody have good tips for what to do with those morning hours? I know all the rules about recovery - get exercise, don't nap, drink water, give yourself 1 day for every hour of difference... but what do you do with yourself?

1 comment:

  1. well, first you could email me.

    then you could start your memoirs.

    then write real letters to people.

    then write me another email.

    then make lists of projects you want to accomplish and a step by step guide as to how you are going to accomplish them. then if you have more time, a time line as to when you will accomplish them.

    then drink a little red wine and GO BACK TO BED!

    ReplyDelete