July 16, 2009

Ain't no sunshine...

like African sunshine - that is certain.

I left Gulu this morning - always too soon for my liking. Last night my team took me out for dinner, drinks, and dancing - of course - I can't get away from it anywhere. We started at Diana Gardens, moved to Kyero-kyeri for dinner, popped over to 'Da Pub,' and then hit up 'Green Valley' and 'Herms' (rhymes with germs). I think we probably got home around 2 a.m., and then were all up for an early and very busy Friday.

It is difficult to say goodbye to my Ugandan friends, and also to Africa. I will miss the glaring sunshine, that freaking rooster crowing at 5:30 a.m. outside my window, the breezy nights where 60 degrees is considered 'too cold,' and especially the starry night sky. In Gulu there are very few street lights, so the stars are abundant. I will miss the morning greetings, being told I am most welcome to northern Uganda, the blinding smiles, and some of the outrageous outfits. I might even miss the yells that follow me down the street, "Heeey mzungu!" And of course, I will miss the dancing.There are some things I'd like to learn before my next trip to Africa, though: how to play pool, how to drive a manual car, how to build a fire in the middle of nowhere...

All for now- I'm off to Kenya and the Masai Mara for the weekend - I get to see the Great Migration of wildebeests. I am so excited! If I don't get eaten, I will post pics.

No comments:

Post a Comment