April 28, 2011

back to the beginning.

tomorrow I'm going back to Gulu for the NUTI goodbye party. It's hard to explain how excited I am about this. This is the first place I ever went in Africa, my first and dearest friends (so far) in Africa, and the party of the year. I would trade Christmas to go to this party. So, I'm traveling 9 hours by car and plane and will hopefully make it. I will battle both Nairobi traffic - on a Friday, no less - and Kampala traffic. I'm not sure if I'll sleep tonight!

... update from Nairobi airport - I made it this far! My driver this morning was HILARIOUS. His name is Jao, and he owns 4 businesses: a car hire company in Nairobi, a mobile phone company in Kampala, a hospital equipment supply company in Kenya, and another one which I forgot. He told me that tomorrow, he will be presented to his tribe (the Kikuyus), to become one of the respected men of the clan. To do this, the family gives a goat. Then he will also have to give a goat to the community. I wish I could attend, as it will be a great festival!


I asked Jao about other ceremonies of the Kikuyus, and he said that when the male child is born - you give a goat, also at circumcision - goat. Then also when the man becomes an elder of the clan - you guessed it, another goat. I asked if poor families are able to have their male children gain respect in the tribe, and he said no - there's not a way unless you can provide all these goats.


Anyway - all for now, I will send updates after the weekend. Hopefully someone there will take pictures of the festivities, as I have not brought a camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment