April 26, 2011

Dinner in Nakuru

The conference I'm attending is located in a town called Nakuru. In my mind, it's one step above Gulu in luxury - yet my colleagues tell me it's the 4th largest city in Kenya!

Tonight my colleagues Francis and Charles asked me, "So, Abigail, what do you know about Kenyans?" Their sly grins made me think I should answer with only good attributes... so I mentioned how well-educated many people are, as well as their diversity in tribes and ethnicities. They prompted me with athleticism, which we discussed for a while (the Kalengins are typically the most athletic tribe), and I told them of my experience with the Kenyan marathon runners growing up in Richmond. I also mentioned how most Kenyans are very well-traveled - which they loved.

They taught me about the diaspora, which apparently has huge roots in Minnesota, Iowa, and Arizona. Then they asked me, "And what else? Do you think we are patient and hard-working?" I was dying on the inside, but I had to say - you know what, I have not had that experience yet. They told me that Kenyans are truly an industrious people - mostly the Kikuyu tribe. Then we discussed unemployment, the US economic recession, and the poor quality of Chinese roads. Great dinner, and great colleagues.

No comments:

Post a Comment