April 25, 2011

suitcases

I think I've written a few times about packing, but possibly never on what makes a good suitcase. Unfortunately, the best way to learn this is by trial and error - but maybe my errors will help you. Last Wednesday, I was going to walk to work with my suitcases- but after all the mistakes which you will read about below - I was too ashamed, and had to hitch a ride. Don't let this happen to you!

I packed all my things into a small suitcase whose handle was too short - miskake #1, and the most egregious. With a short handle your balance will be off, and you will have difficulty not bumping your suitcase into your own feet. Also, if you're wheeling two suitcases- they will be at different distances away from your arms, which makes navigation difficult. On Wednesday, I tripped over my own feet about 7 times.

Mistake #2 a suitcase that does not stand on its own. This particular suitcase is top-heavy, meaning that it topples forward at every possible chance. I've mitigated this by packing heavy items at the back, but it's incredibly frustrating to set your suitcase down and have it fall at every street corner.

Mistake #3 bumbling wheels. Imagine my frustration when the suitcase in question tipped over at the first bump or sidewalk crack. Shameful.

Along with #2, mistake #4 is balance of the wheels. If you do go over a speedbump, the suitcase should not wobble from side to side like an awkward King Tut dance. I don't ever want to turn around and have to steady my own penguin-waddling suitcase.

So, moral of the story - do not be fooled by fancy gadgets like a compas in the handle- cool idea, right? wrong. Stick to the 4 principles of handle length, weight, wheels, and balance - and you should have a smooth ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment